Easy Brown Sugar Hand Scrub Recipe
Homemade Brown Sugar Body Scrub
Make this fragrant exfoliator in your kitchen and add it to your beauty routine for extra-soft skin.
1 cup light or dark brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil*
1 teaspoon Vitamin E (available online or at vitamin stores)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or essential oil such as lemon or lavender (optional)
*Tip: Substitute 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil or sweetened almond oil.
- Combine all ingredients (except brown sugar) in a mixing bowl and stir
- Add one cup of brown sugar and mix well with a wire whisk or hand mixer (be sure to break up any lumps as you stir)
- Stop when the mixture resembles moist sand; if the mixture feels too dry, add more oil a few drops at a time, and if it feels too oily, add more brown sugar until the mixture reaches the desired consistency
- Rub a small amount into your skin using circular motions
- Once the sugar is rubbed in, rinse your hands and follow with a treatment of your favorite lotion
Sugar Scrub Tips
- Store the brown sugar in an airtight container for up to three months.
- Note that contents will settle, so mix the scrub before using.
- Sugar scrubs are not usually recommended for the face.
- Leave on the skin for a few minutes before thoroughly rinsing under warm water, and then pat dry.
- Apply skin lotion for an extra dose of indulgence.
Tip: Be careful when using this body scrub when bathing; the oils may make the bathtub or shower floor a little slippery.
Sugar Scrubs Make Cute, Inexpensive Gifts
For a vintage look Mom or Grandma will love, store the scrub in a clean Mason jar with a galvanized steel lid. Wrap thick twine around the neck, and tie it into a shoestring-type bow.
Looking for a shower gift in the bride’s wedding colors? Package the scrub in a clear glass jar with a stainless-steel lid. Wrap the desired color of taffeta ribbon around the lid and tie it in a bow. Tuck a small silk flower between the ribbon and the jar for added charm.
Need a trendy gift for your best friend? Package the scrub in a clean canning jar. Wrap colorful Washi tape around the canning-jar lid. Create a color-coordinated label on your computer and attach it to the front of the jar with crafts glue.
Want to delight a new mom? Package the scrub in a clean baby-food jar.
- Decorate the lid with a scrap of pink, blue or gender-neutral fabric cut into a circle 2 inches larger than the jar lid
- Use a dab of glue to attach the circle to the lid
- Gather the excess fabric around the neck of the jar, and secure with a pretty coordinating ribbon tied in a bow
Tip: Don’t forget to include a small tag listing the ingredients and instructions for using the scrub.
Copyright © Procter & Gamble Company