Complete List Of Leap Year Day Sales
Retailers are always looking for an excuse to have a sale, and every four years, they have one more. With a little searching and a few phone calls, you might be able to score some sweet leap year deals this year.
APPAREL AND ACCESSORIES
Apparel retailers don’t need an excuse to create sales, but any time they can exploit a “holiday,” they will. Check out your favorite apparel stores and ask if they are having leap year sales. Some might not have even realized they had this opportunity and you might spur them into offering some discounts that day. If your favorite shoe store, clothing boutique or other apparel outlet says, “No, we don’t have any leap year sales this year,” call back the next day or the day after to see if they’ve changed their minds.
Do you need custom-made T-shirts for your business, a charity event you’re running, a family reunion or some other occasion? You can even make just one or a few shirts for family and friends. The founder of Big Frog Custom T-Shirts was born during a leap year and is celebrating. Take 29 percent off other items you buy before or on the last day of the month.
Other apparel retailers offering leap deals include:
- Columbia Sportswear – 30% ecoupon at website through February 29
- The GAP – extra 10% off through February 29, which you can tack onto other sales discounts
- Groupon – Find deals that end on the 29th at Groupon, including free gifts with purchase or huge discounts at Jos. A. Bank, Lord & Taylor, Old Navy and Victoria’s Secret.
- Lands’ End – 30% off regular items + 40% off sale and clearance online. Check out with promo code PAL302 and PIN# 7000
- Men’s Wearhouse – $25,000 wedding sweepstakes + $40 every tux or suit rental ends February 29
- OshKosh B’gosh – 15% off purchase or 20% of purchases of $40+ at CouponSherpa.com
- OneHanesPlace – Free swim separates bottom when you buy two tops at website; 10% of $50 purchase with coupon at RetailMeNot.com
- Urban Outfitters – More than 300 items for $29 or less through February 29 + free shipping on orders totaling $50 or more and free returns.
- Zappo’s – Free returns for four years (available on purchases made February 29). In addition, the company is giving its employees the day off!
DINING AND DRINKS
If you’ll be eating out on the 29th, try to avoid paying full price. Check out the leap specials at places like:
- Chick-fil-A – Free 4-count Chick-n-Minis at participating restaurants
- Dog Haus – Upgrade you burger (free extra patty) at no cost on the 29th.
- Great American Cookies – Free 5 X 7-inch cookie cake on your February 29 birthday.
- Hard Rock Café – free entrée if it’s your birthday on the 29th
- Krispy Kreme – Get 12 donuts for $2.99 when you buy 12 at the regular price.
- Legal Sea Foods – “Extra Day/Extra Lobster” – get two lobsters for $29 each (instead of $50)
- Margarita’s Mexican Restaurant – Don’t wait for Cinco de Mayo to eat cheap Tex-Mex. Buy a margarita or fried ice cream for only $2.29 on 2/29.
- Olive Garden – Dine with friends on February 29 and get four free Dolcini desserts (worth approximately $17).
- Tropical Smoothie – Get a smoothie for $2.29 (half price)
Not only do you get an extra day to travel this year, you also get to do it cheaper. Hotels and airlines are offering deals that reduce your rates if you either travel on the 29th or at least book your flight or future stay on the 29th. Some of these deals are offering creative variations on the number 29, such as hotels offering rooms for $29 or for 29 percent off the regular rate. Check out these great Leap Day travel deals, which might give you ideas for places to search that might offer you additional savings.
- CheapOAir – 20% off group travel (4 travelers or more) booked by February 29
- Destination Hotels – 29% discount on select reservations booked on February 29.
- Expedia – Get 29% off hotel bookings made by the end of February 29.
- Frontier Airlines – $29 flights to select cities
- Groupon – No purchased required on this Holiday Inn Express deal that includes free Internet, breakfast and 30% off if booked by February 29.
Call your local hotels and bed and breakfasts to see about leap year promotions that aren’t well-advertised.
WAIT TO BUY YOUR CAR
Car salespeople need to hit their monthly sales quota and start to panic at the end of the month. The closer you get to the 29th, the more your salesperson will be willing to deal on a car purchase or lease. Ask about a higher trade-in value on your car, a better APR on your loan or a free accessory or two.
Type “Leap Year Deals” and your city’s name into Google and see what you get. Las Vegas residents, for example, can find discounts on everything from restaurants to clothes to electronics. For example, if you’re in the Elizabeth, NJ area, The Mills at Jersey Gardens is having a leap sale at the mall, with discounts up to 75 percent off.
This article was written by Sam Ashe-Edmunds, contributor for The Daily Clutch.