HELLO SOFT SKIN Imagine finding a skin product as good to your skin as you are. Well ladies, we have found the perfect product: Olay’s 4-in-1 Daily Facial Cloths. For less than $8, these wipes are gentle on your skin…
Like so many fashion dos or don’ts, it’s hard to know exactly where the rules about not wearing white between Memorial Day and Labor Day exclusively originated.
Some say it started way back in the 1800s as a way of signifying status — those in the know avoided white unless they were playing tennis or walking down the aisle. Since Labor Day became an official holiday in 1894 and since the rules against white afterward were most stringently observed in the ‘50s, it really does seem like an old-fashioned concept.
In a recent poll conducted by T.J.Maxx & Marshalls 63 percent of the women polled thought waiting for the unofficial start of summer to wear white was a long-gone fashion rule. In fact, most of the women polled cited warmer weather and not the calendar date as their gauge that it’s okay to wear white, with 39 percent of them admitting to wearing white year-round regardless of the temperature.
Curious about the top three white clothing items or accessories of choice? Tanks, dresses and shoes top most women’s lists.
Whether you’re planning on breaking out the white come Memorial Day, or plan on being an ice queen all year long, here are some great affordable picks.
White tank tops: Wear them alone, layered or even doubled up for a crisp look.
- Coldwater Creek has a wide variety of tank tops and if you search you can find white tops with square necks or lace or other interesting detailing, some even as low as $9.99 on sale!
- Chico’s Tivona Ribbed Tank Top will last you for the entire season and costs only $25.
- Macy’s regularly features Free People tanks on sale, sometimes for less than $10.
White dresses: The little white dress is a trend to consider during warmer months.
- Charlotte Russe turns up the heat with this bodycon style.
- This shift dress from Forever 21 has a mod look to it – just add some oversized sunglasses.
- Okay, here’s a splurge that isn’t really a splurge — David’s Bridal has some amazing dressy white frocks for under $40.00. This one is only $29.99.
- This long, sleeveless shirt dress style, also from Forever 21, can take you from the beach to a barbeque.
- T.J. Maxx has tons of white dresses for less than $25, I’m partial to the crocheted ones!
White shoes: Even if you have to wear black or khaki for work, you can brighten up your look with white shoes.
- These cute lacy flats probably aren’t great for walking, but look cute with capris.
- H&M has skimmer sneakers for less than $10. How can you beat that?
- JC Penney has some cute jelly sandals (with rhinestones!) for less than $10 bucks and some really on trend embellished styles for less than $15.
- If wedges are your thing, check these out from Top Moda.
This article was written by Rachel Weingarten for The Daily Clutch